ITIL Implementation/ Infographic
What needs to be considered when planning an ITIL implementation project? How can I assign the available resources in an economical way? Is there a tried and tested approach to implementing ITIL?
Infographic: How to implement ITIL in 10 steps
The infographic is based on our "ITIL Implementation Guide" which provides you with valuable information on how to set up and carry out ITIL projects or ISO 20000 initiatives.
- Step 1 | Preparing the ITIL project
- We are often asked what is important when setting up and carrying out ITIL implementation projects. In our view, organizations that wish to implement ITIL should put a few prerequisites in place right at the beginning, to ensure that the ITIL principles are adopted in the long term.
- → Details: How to prepare an ITIL project
- Step 2 | Defining the IT service structure
- Any ITIL initiative should start by looking at services. After all, the whole idea behind introducing ITIL is to achieve a stronger focus on services. The best way to get a clear picture on IT services is to develop a service structure, comprising both business and supporting services.
- → Details: How to define the IT service structure
- Step 3 | Selecting ITIL roles and role owners
- At the beginning of any ITIL or ISO 20000 initiative it is important to nominate the individuals who will be in charge of running the new ITIL processes. This means it must be determined which "ITIL roles" are necessary and to whom those roles are assigned.
- → Details: How to select ITIL roles and role owners
- Step 4 | Analyzing the as-is processes (ITIL-Assessment)
- An analysis of the current situation should precede any process reorganization; this will make it possible to decide which current processes may be left unchanged and where, on the other hand, there is an especially urgent need for action.
- → Details: How to analyze the as-is processes
- Step 5 | Defining the to-be process structure
- Following the analysis of the initial situation, it can be decided in more detail where the ITIL initiative will put its focus. In practice this means to determine which ITIL processes are to be introduced, resulting in a structured process breakdown ("to-be process structure").
- → Details: How to define the to-be process structure
- Step 6 | Defining the process interfaces
- Just how great the importance of process interfaces is for the design of optimal work procedures frequently becomes apparent during the analysis of as-is processes: weaknesses in processes often occur at those points where one process ends and another one begins ...
- → Details: How to define the process interfaces
- Step 7 | Establishing process control
- Process owners use objective quality criteria (quality measurements, also known as key performance indicators or KPIs) to assess whether their processes are running "well". This puts them in a position to decide upon the need for process improvements.
- → Details: How to establish process control
- Step 8 | Designing the processes in detail
- Determining the sequences of activities within each ITIL process (defining the "ITIL process flows") is bound to require considerable effort. This makes it important to concentrate on the areas which really matter to your organization.
- → Details: How to design the processes in detail
- Step 9 | Setting up the technical infrastructure (example)
- If new or changed technical infrastructure is needed to support the ITIL processes, it must be acquired and deployed. Our example outlines the necessary steps to define system requirements, select and implement application systems.
- → Details: How to set up the technical infrastructure? (Example: Selection and implementation of application systems)
- Step 10 | Implementing the ITIL processes and training
- Finally, IT staff receives thorough training in order to be able to apply the new processes in practice. There might be additional training measures at different levels: ...
- → Details: The final step: ITIL process implementation and training
→ Click to view the full ITIL infographic - 820 x 3845 px.