ITIL implementation projects are characterized by a typical course of action, independent of the size of the company and its core business. This made it feasible to devise a time-tested project blueprint which can serve as a guideline for a wide range of ITIL initiatives.
ITIL Implementation in 10 Steps
An ITIL implementation project is structured in several phases, which each build upon the results of the previous project steps (see the overview of the ITIL implementation project steps).
The work effort during the progress of a service management project is usually not distributed equally over the project course. The project begins with the definition of the processes and the organizational framework. In this case, it is possible to provide very concrete instructions, as this project phase allows itself to be extensively standardized.
A larger work is usually involved for the service provider organization during the actual implementation of the processes and systems.
However, if the correct steps have already been taken during the conceptual phase of the ITIL project, it is decidedly easier to assign the available human and financial resources in an economical way. Contrary to this, if no well-designed conceptual phase takes place at the outset of the project, there is the risk of taking measures during the process and system implementation, which would prove expensive and disadvantageous for the business in the long-term; in this case, a reversion is hardly possible without further losses.
ITIL Implementation Project Course
- Step 1: ITIL Project Preparation
- Step 2: Definition of the IT Service Structure
- Step 3: Selection of ITIL Roles and Role Owners
- Step 4: Analysis of As-Is Processes: ITIL-Assessment
- Step 5: Definition of the To-Be Process Structure
- Step 6: Definition of Process Interfaces
- Step 7: Establishing Process Control
- Step 8: Designing the Processes in Detail
- Step 9: Setting up the Technical Infrastructure (Ex.: Application Systems)
- Step 10: ITIL Process Implementation and Training
- At a glance: Infographic "ITIL Implemention"
Implementing ITIL with with Process Templates
- ITIL Implementation with Process Templates (ITIL process models)
- Switching from ITIL V3 (ITIL 2011) to ITIL 4
- ITIL Process Map for ITIL 4
- Video: ITIL 4 process templates
More on ITIL Implementation Projects
- ITIL for Small and Medium-Sized Businesses
- ITIL Introduction in Stages
- Key Factors for ITIL Implementations