Capacity Management - ITIL V2
ITIL Version: ITIL V2 → see also Capacity Management - ITIL V3
Process-Objective: Capacity Management supports the optimum and cost effective provision of IT Services by helping IT Organisations match their IT Resources (Software, Hardware, Human Resources) to the business needs. The process involves estimations of future demand, which are the basis for planning future capacity needs, resulting in the Capacity Plan.
Part of: Service Delivery
Process Owner: Capacity Manager
Forecast the Future Demand for IT Capacities
- Process objective: The future demand for IT capacities is to be estimated upon the basis of performance and capacity-utilization measurements, in addition to information from the client-side.
Compile Capacity Plan
- Process objective: Design of concrete measures for the adjustment of IT capacities in reaction to infringements to performance and capacity agreements which have already occurred, or which are likely to occur in the future; compilation of corresponding RFCs.
Commission Optimization Measures for IT Capacities
- Process objective: After the successful clearance of the Change, the implementation planning is to be detailed; subsequently the implementation is commissioned to suitable technical experts within Application or Infrastructure Management.
Monitor IT Capacities
- Process objective: Monitoring of performance and IT capacities agreed upon in the SLAs and where necessary, identification of measures for the continued assurance of the agreed Service Levels.
Carry out Capacity Reporting
- Process objective: Reporting on the adherence to Performance and Capacity agreements, and on counter-measures for the correction to occurred infringements or projected shortages related to the agreed Service Levels.
- Capacity Manager: In ITIL V2 the Capacity Manager ensures the fulfillment of the business requirements, in that he makes the necessary IT Capacities available (Hardware, Software, Personnel). To achieve this he creates forecasts of the future demand, from which planning for the necessary future capacities (the Capacity Plan) can be derived.
Related Checklists and KPIs
Related ITIL Glossary Terms